Vital Records | Registration of Assumed Names | Sangamon County Clerk | Joe Aiello | Sangamon County, Illinois
How to Apply for an Assumed Business Name (DBA)
- Check with the proper Zoning Department to esnure the proposed business is in compliance with all applicable zoning rules and regulations. If the business address is in another county, you should contact the Zoning Department in that county.
- Sangamon County Zoning Department, Room 213 Sangamon County Building (217) 753-6760
- City of Springfield Zoning Department, Room 304 Municipal Center West (217) 789-2171
- Other incorporated areas of Sangamon County, you should contact that village or city
- If the business is in another county, you should contact the zoning department for that county
- Complete the two page; Certificate of Ownership of Business and the Notice Under Assumed Business Name Act.
- Both forms must be signed by one of the business owners. If you are mailing the forms in, you must have your signature notarized. The required filing fee is $11.00. Valid ID required with payment.
- When signing the forms you are attesting to the fact that the information is true and correct. All information will be published as it is listed on the forms.
- Choose which newspaper you would like the notice published in. It will be published three times for three weeks in a row. Indicate on the form which newspaper. The County Clerk’s office will send the form and your payment to the newspaper you have indicated. You may publish in one of the following newspapers:
State Journal Register - $16.00 or Illinois Times - $60.00
This payment must be made separate from the County Clerk’s fee.
- Once payment is received, the newspaper will send your original proof of publication certificate to the County Clerk to complete your file. The County Clerk will send you a copy of the Certificate of Publication along with a Certificate of Ownership within about 4 to 6 weeks from the original filing date.
To download Adobe Acrobat Reader, click on the Adobe Reader icon